- Sid Faithfull was a seafood processor trading as Point Seafoods, Karumba.
- Identified an opportunity to mothership to the trawler fleet to allow them to stay at sea catching, while their fuel/food/water/packaging was brought to them and their catch transported to market and waste taken away.
- Acquired the Carlock and re-fitted it to become Sea Swift’s inaugural mothership vessel
Image: Sea Swift vessels, including original vessels Carlock (tug) and Captain Tom (barge), alongside Point Seafoods in Karumba.
- Point Seafoods – based in Karumba – serviced the fishing fleet in the Gulf of Carpentaria with original vessels Carlock (tug) and Captain Tom (dumb barge)
- Emu Bay introduced as the next vessel – a self-propelled hopper barge converted to a fishery support vessel.
- In 1984, the tug Willara and bulk fuel barge 1203 came into service.
Image: Sea Swift Temperature Control Facility in 1987 (Freezer/Chiller)
- Contract secured for delivery of fuel to Cape York and Torres Strait communities
- Original service by landing barge Karunda
- Company name change from Faithfull Management to Sea Swift Pty Ltd
- Operational base moved from Karumba to Cairns
- Emu Bay commences a fishery support service from Cairns to the Torres Strait
- Molunat (heavy lift ship) purchased and converted to sail Cairns to Thursday Island/Seisia delivering coastal cargo
- Sea Swift awarded State stores contract to deliver essential goods to Lockhart River, Thursday Island and Northern Peninsula Area (NPA) communities
- Trinity Bay (ex-Leichhardt) commenced operation from Cairns to Thursday Island and Seisia on alternate weeks with the Molunat
- Molunat converted to a livestock vessel operating internationally
- Trinity Bay commences weekly schedule to take up Molunat schedule
- Faseco 103, a laid up sand dredge purchased in South Korea, sailed to Philippines for conversion to cargo vessel to replace original Trinity Bay
- Sea Swift acquires Brambles North Queensland shipping assets
- This transaction adds an additional seven vessels to the fleet
- Sea Swift acquires Endeavour shipping assets
- Sea Swift purchases Tiwi Barge Service and commences coastal cargo operations to Northern Territory remote communities, and Gove and Groote Eylandt, which adds an additional two vessels.
- Sea Swift acquires Toll Marine North Queensland and Northern Territory coastal shipping assets, which adds an additional four vessels
- QIC enters into a contract to acquire 100 per cent of the Sea Swift business to continue the growth of the company
- Sea Swift launches its first scheduled international shipping service between Dampier in Western Australia and Singapore, appointing GAC as principal carrier agent.
These values are at the core of our Sea Swift community
We believe in delivering a safe service and can meet any challenge to deliver on our commitment of getting the job done, on time, the first time and to the highest standard.
We are customer focused and seek out feedback so we can learn and improve every day.
We will achieve success through building the capability of our people and great teamwork.
We are accountable to our customers and to each other for the services we provide.
You will notice Sea Swift standards because they are always on display
• Sea Swift following our processes and procedures to deliver a consistent service and your freight being treated with absolute care and respect.
• Teamwork in action with individuals doing their job safely and ensuring their teammates are acting safely too.
• Equipment that is well maintained, safe and fit for purpose – our teams will continue to use equipment, regardless of age, provided it gets the job done efficiently and safely.
• Sea Swift is visible in the community through our regular support, sponsorship and assistance.
• Sea Swift employees are happy because they enjoy what they do – serving our customers, the people who live in the remote communities of Northern Australia.
• Our employees work hard to safely deliver your freight on time and without damage.
• Sea Swift employees asking their team mates how they are going or for help if required and congratulating their teammates for jobs well done.
• Sea Swift asking for your feedback so we can continue to learn and improve the service.
• All about what’s going on in the business operationally and strategically and about the performance of your team.
• Positive comments about Sea Swift by independent third parties including regulators, government agencies, community leaders and industry peers.
Safety is our top priority at Sea Swift.
We operate in some of the most remote and pristine areas of northern Australia, and the safety of our employees, our clients, the people around us, and the natural environment we operate in is of paramount importance to us.
Sea Swift’s business operations comply with the latest national and international shipping regulations and standards, with Health, Safety, Environment and Quality being key drivers for the organisation.
Our objective is to be the leader in marine industry safety.
Sea Swift has achieved the following accreditation:
Occupational Health &
Through a dedicated HSEQ team and a readily accessible platform across marine and shoreside employees, contractors and visitors.
Occupational Health &
Safety Management Systems
Through best practice design, implementation and training both internal and external with continued statistical reporting to achieve excellence.
Vital when operating in and through the Great Barrier Reef, the Torres Strait, the Arafura Sea, remote Northern Territory, and across northern Australia. Our key environmental challenges are energy conservation, waste management, and hydrocarbon management.
Through a range of customer and operational interfaces to ensure our service aligns with all required legislation and best practice. Some key aspects for accreditation include food safety control, on-time performance, stowage averages, and customer planning and delivery.
Food Safety Management
Implementation of best practices and systems, by applying the Codex Alimentarius HACCP Principles. Continuous training of staff to hold high regard for food safety and quality preservation, and a strong focus on customer service and satisfaction. This renowned risk management technique has built a robust quality assurance environment into our business.